Wednesday, February 15, 2012

Cooking Tips for Real Food

Di, my friend, former neighbor and enthusiastic blog follower, posted a link to this blog site and I thought this was certainly info worth sharing. It's from ZenBelly (www.ZenBellyBlog.com), a "mostly paleo" blog site that contains some good recipes and tips on eating for our Real Food journey. 

I completely agree with the info in this article.  In fact I've never owned a microwave.  The reason is that in 1977 I finally (I'd been on a wait list for 4 months) had my 1st appointment with Dr. James Hill, a holistic MD in Dallas.  One of the things that he impressed upon me is to NEVER use a microwave.  

Remember, microwaves were still really new in those days so I'd never used one and 35 years later here I am, never having owned one!  

To augment his sage advice, in 1985 I read some reports from England on the topic. It seems scientists had taken a piece of beef and studied it under a microscope then cooked it 3 ways. Cooked on a gas stove, no change to the cells. Cooked on an electric stove, some cellular disturbances detected. Cooked in a microwave, the cells of the beef now looked like pre-cancerous cells.  

Combine that with the info below and I think you will see that microwaving any Real Food very quickly turns it into something else!


10 Reasons to Kill Your Microwave

I have been blown away recently about the general acceptance of the use of microwaves among the Paleo community.  It seems 100% counter intuitive that a group of people who put so much emphasis on the value of real food would take that real food and radiate it until it technically is no longer food.  Sound extreme and dramatic?  It’s not.  The microwave is THE worst thing to happen to the kitchen since the TV dinner.  I haven’t owned one since college and haven’t missed it for one second.  Throwing leftovers in a pan often takes no more time than nuking them.  Toaster ovens are more compact, heat quickly, and are less expensive than microwaves.
I promise you won’t miss it once it’s gone!
1. Continually eating food processed from a microwave oven causes long term or permanent brain damage by “shorting out” electrical impulses in the brain (de-polarizing or de-magnetizing the brain tissue)
2. The human body cannot metabolize (break down) the unknown by-products created in microwaved food
3. Male and female hormone production is shut down or altered by continually eating microwaved foods.
4. The effects of microwaved food by-products are residual (long lasting, permanent) within the human body
5. Mineral, vitamins, and nutrients of all microwaved food is reduced or altered so that the human body gets little or no benefit, or the human body absorbs altered compounds that cannot be broken down
6. The minerals in vegetables are altered into cancerous free radicals when “cooked” in a microwave ”oven”
7. Microwaved foods cause stomach and intestinal cancerous growths (tumors) This may explain the rapidly increased rate of colon cancer in the US.
8. The prolonged eating of microwaved food causes cancerous cells to increase in human blood.
9. Continual eating of microwaved food causes immune deficiencies through lymph gland and blood serum alterations
10. Eating microwaved food causes loss of memory, concentration, emotional instability, and loss of intelligence.
source: Bauman College, 2009


Right now I'm renting a condo with a microwave. The kitchen is quite small so this is what I did with it . . .



What about you?

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always felt uncomfortable using a microwave. It just felt wrong on a gut level to eat something with all the warning stickers that heats up food by changing it using radiation. I have a visual imagination and I could see these death rays emanating from the "nuker" and going straight to my brain. For a while I hid the microwave in another room and left while it nuked the food. Then I just used it for heating my coffee. Finally I just got rid of it. I felt so much better. Now I use my toaster oven and stovetop to heat. A cup of tea heats on the stovetop faster than it did in the microwave. I still see claims that say how "safe" it is but I'm not buying into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice post. I learn something totally new and challenging on sites
    I stumbleupon everyday. It's always interesting to read through content
    from other writers and use something from their websites.


    Also visit my weblog :: paleo cereal

    ReplyDelete