Another healthy chocolate recipe for your eating pleasure! It's another re-posting from one of my favorite raw, vegan and healthy dessert blogs - Hail Merry.com.
I've re-blogged several recipes from her site because she has impeccable taste and works to provide healthy choices for her snack foods and desserts.
As you may remember, I've been limiting my intake of all sugars as an experiment in creating anti-inflammatory recipes, so when I made this sauce I cut the agave in half, added just a 1/4 teaspoon of ground stevia leaf (the green kind is so good for you) and thinned it with a tablespoon of coconut milk. It didn't change the texture or the taste but it did significantly reduce the over all sugars.
No matter how you make it, it's decadently healthy and delicious!
Raw & Vegan Chocolate Desserts: Chocolate Sauce 5 Ways
Dark chocolate has moved up in the world- once sinfully delicious, now a “superfood” with more antioxidants than blueberries and the highest concentration of magnesium than any other food. If eaten as part of a raw whole foods based diet, chocolate helps protect us from aging and chronic disease, calms our nerves, relaxes our muscles, helps us sleep and makes us happy. And this Raw Chocolate Sauce is guaranteed to deliver comfort and joy this holiday season- in any of the 5 delicious healthy recipes ideas below.
In the Chocolate Sauce recipe, use either raw cacao or natural cocoa powder- the only difference is that the cocoa powder is made from roasted seeds of the cacao tree, while the raw cacao is cold-pressed from fermented beans. So cocoa powder is not raw but raw cacao, if not properly fermented, can be bitter and acidic. It is a personal choice and for many, taste trumps purity. Another consideration is raw cacao product quality and integrity since the raw food market is relatively unregulated. Safety and sustainability are an important part of any raw, vegan or gluten-free diet. If you feel deprived or the food doesn’t deliver, the diet is not sustainable. Remember- the goal is to eat more raw food to live a healthy and happy life. This chocolate sauce can be a friend along the way.
Raw Chocolate Sauce
Makes 1 cup
1 cup agave nectar
1 cup cacao powder (or natural cocoa powder)
1/4 cup coconut oil, melted
1 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
For Chocolate Mint Glaze:
½ teaspoon peppermint extract
For Chocolate Mocha Glaze:
½ teaspoon coffee extract
Blend all ingredients together until smooth. If too thick add more melted coconut oil, 1 teaspoon at a time. Add flavor extracts as desired.
1. Chocolate Dipped Fruit: Dip cut up fresh fruit into glaze for a delicious fruit fondue. Pineapple, strawberries, bananas, orange slices, star fruit and kiwi all work beautifully.
2. Chocolate Dipped Macaroons: Dip Hail Merry Blonde & Choco Macaroons into glaze for a decadent rich raw cookie.
3. Raw Chocolate Mocha Pudding Tarts: press a Hail Merry Macaroon into a mini cupcake tin. With a small ice cream measure, scoop Chocolate Chia Pudding into macaroon-lined tin. Chill for 30 minutes and then drizzle with Chocolate Mocha Glaze before serving. Garnish with fresh fruit and mint leaves.
4. Banana Split: slice a banana lengthwise and then into 4 spears. Top bananas with plain coconut yogurt, and drizzle decoratively with maple syrup and Chocolate Mint Glaze. Garnish with fresh mint and serve immediately.
5. Frozen Sundae: Drizzle glaze over raw ice cream or sorbet and top with chopped Hail Merry Vanilla Maple Almonds.
For more fantastic, decadently healthy chocolate recipes, go to www.SimpleHealthNetwork.com/store.html to take advantage of my Spring into Spring Sale where you can get your own copy of OMG! That's Allergy Free? for only $29.95 through March 31!