Did you know that exchanging 1 cup of coffee in the morning for a simple cup of hot water and lemon can change your picture of health?
Here are a number of reasons this drink can do so much . . .
1. During the night as you sleep, your organs process to repair and rebuild using large quantities of water. But throughout this processing, your body is deprived of water so you wake up dehydrated. Traditional morning drinks like coffee and tea contain caffeine which is a natural diuretic - leading to more dehydration. But lemon water is naturally caffeine free! Rather than artificially raising your energy level, lemon water does it naturally.
2. As you sleep your metabolic rate slows down. When you drink water first thing in the morning it kicks up your metabolism. This allows you to burning more calories with the same amount of activity which could help you lose weight.
3. Lemon juice is slightly tart and bitter. According to Traditional Chinese Medicine these flavors offer help to the liver and gallbladder. This is because they stimulate the production and flow of bile.
4. Lemon juice is a good source of Vitamin C, potassium, calcium, phosphorous and magnesium - getting your day off to a good start!
5. Warm or hot lemon water improves digestion, relieves heartburn and bloating and increases the absorption of nutrients.
6. Hot water stimulates peristaltic action to prevent or alleviate constipation and other gastrointestinal disorders.
7. The naturally occurring Vitamin C in the lemon juice enhances the immune system.
8. Warm lemon water thins mucous, making it helpful in relieving symptoms of colds, asthma and allergies.
So the next time life gives you lemons . . . don't waste them on lemonade! Instead squeeze half a lemon into 8 ounces of warm or hot water and drink it first thing in the morning!