Over the past few weeks I have been posting lots of info on your Enteric Nervous System - your second brain in relationship to probiotics and food allergies. Just the other day while reading my copy of Living Without magazine I found this article about gluten and your brain and thought it would be good information to add to the things I've already posted.
I think it speaks volumes about some of the "hidden" effects of gluten on our bodies and our overall health. So even if you do not appear to have a gluten allergy or sensitivity, it's a good idea to look at ways to cut down on the gluten in your diet.
Even though our USDA food pyramid suggests lots of whole grains, being mindful of your choices is a great idea. I would even go so far as to suggest limiting your grain intake to 1 serving per day. Think about filling your plate with more organic vegetables and fruits. Here are a few great ways to cut down or eliminate gluten in your diet . . .
1. Next time you make tacos, make them into lettuce wraps. Lettuce wraps are very common in Asian cuisine and they accomplish 2 things at once - you eliminate the grain filled tortilla and add in an extra serving of veggies with no effort! You can find a great recipe for these grainless chicken tacos in my post on March 1st.
2. Consider using seeds like quinoa and amaranth as a replacement for bulgar when making breakfast cereal, rice or pasta style salads or tabouli. You can find lots of great recipes like those pictured below in my cookbook - OMG! That's Allergy Free?
3. Even though ancient grains like spelt and kamut contain gluten, the amount is significantly less than the wheat grown today. So if you MUST have a slice of bread try Rudy's Spelt bread or Canyon Bakehouse's GF Multigrain bread. Or you can even bake your own! Try my No Knead Spelt Cibatta or my GF Sourdough Bread - the recipes can also be found in my cookbook.
4. Substitute "Cauliflower Rice" for regular rice. This works particularly well for flavored rice dishes, like this recipe I posted on February 13th for Cilantro-Lime Cauliflower Rice.
5. Rather than making a sandwich pile your sandwich fillings on a bed of greens and have a salad instead! Here's my Deconstructed BLT Salad from my cookbook . . . and it tastes even better than it looks!
These are just a few ways you can begin to dramatically reduce and even eliminate the gluten that may be akin to a brain zapping zombie!
Gluten Attack: Ataxia
Is gluten attacking your brain?
There's much more to this article, to read it all click here.